Planning for Disaster Recovery
Article ID: CS0020 Planning for Disaster Recovery
Commvault offers different methods to recover the CommCell databases in the event of a disaster. Depending on the security requirements of the organization and hardware availability, you can implement one or more disaster recovery (DR) methods.
As a best practice, it is recommended to set up the DR environment as follows:
- Schedule periodic DR backups of the CommCell databases. By default, DR backups are performed everyday.
- Make sure the DR backups are transferred to tapes at offsite standby location using DASH copy or auxiliary copy operations.
- Replicate the production CommCell databases to the standby CommServe host using SQL mirroring or scheduled SQL agent backup and restore (log shipping) methods.
You can use witness servers to monitor the production CommCell databases in real-time environments which require minimal impact on business operations during failover.
- In the event of a disaster, move the CommCell operations to the standby CommServe host using the Disaster Recovery tool or failover using the witness servers.
- If using DR backups for the recovery, use the Tape Catalog feature to recover the subsequent backup jobs performed after the DR backup job.
- If none of the above configurations are implemented in your environment, then use the Media Explorer tool to recover the DR backups from the tape and build the standby CommServe host.
For more information see: